Wednesday, September 8, 2010

LINE










This Month I would like to highlight the art element of line.  As you can see, line can do much.  As I first teach children about line, I ask them what a line looks like.  It is always interesting to see what they are thinking.  I then talk to them about how line doesn't have to be straight, or thin.  I have them practice drawing lines diagonally, then horizontally, then vertically, then swirly, then fat, then zig zags, then whatever.
Having the children then design a bookmark with a pattern of different lines would be fun.
Last year I heard of an Art Mom who used cooked spaghetti noodles to have the kids find what they could design with them.  I also heard of another Art Mom who just had the kids use their Elmer's glue to draw a simple line with no end (so it has to be a loop of some sort) and then she sprinkled salt on it like you would with glitter.  After it was dry she let the kids water color the salt line they had made.  It was beautiful.
For older children it would be fun for them to sit and draw a neighbor with one continuous line. (something like the second picture posted).
I also like the idea on the third picture that is posted.  With squiggly line make a sculpture of the human body. You could ask for a  volunteer to pose for the class, or this may be much easier, print up a picture of a person  and give each child a copy.  Have the kids try to sculpt the body they are looking at with squiggly lines.
When I was in high school, I loved to do crazy designs like the one in the 4th picture that is posted.  I loved to work for hours on something that looked kind of silly.  Just think what little kids could come up with.  They are still so full of imagination.  Use it to your advantage.

The art element of line could be used all year long.

It is my favorite I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment